Homeopathic remedies may be the answer to all your pet’s health issues. If you have decided to give these natural remedies a try, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. Homeopathic medicine is not administered in the same way as other types of medications. If you don’t handle these remedies correctly, you may cause them to become ineffective.
Handling, Administering, and Storage
To make sure that your homeopathic remedies are effective when administered, keep the following in mind:
- Keep them out of direct sunlight. Some of the ingredients in homeopathic medicines are light sensitive and will lose their effective properties when exposed to direct light. Homeopaths will most likely mix and sell these remedies in dark glass bottles or something similar which will already help for protection against the sunlight.
- Don’t hide the remedies in food. Most of the natural remedies that homeopaths prescribe need to melt on the tongue or gums for it to be effective. Try to drop the remedy on the inside of the cheek wall where it can melt and your pet can’t swallow it. This may be tricky until they get used to it.
- Avoid touching the remedies. Whether it is drops, powders, or pills, you should try not to touch the medication with your hands. This is another way in which the active ingredients can be made ineffective. The medicine should go straight from the bottle into the pet’s mouth.
- Don’t worry too much about the amount. Homeopathic medicine works differently than other medications. We are used to antibiotics that need to be taken in specific doses and specific times to be effective and not cause more problems. This is not the case with homeopathy. The chances of overdosing are very slim. If you got your medications through a homeopathic vet, he or she would have directed you about the number of pellets or drops to give your pet. If not, go with your gut and watch your pet’s symptoms and behavior. This will help you know if it is working.
- Avoid storing it near electromagnetic appliances. Homeopathic medicines are energy medicine and can be made ineffective if they are stored near a television, microwaves, computers, or other such appliances. Rather store them in a dark, dry place away from electronics and direct sunlight.
Basic Remedies to Have at Home
There are some remedies that you can always have at home. Almost like a homeopathic first-aid kit. These include:
Arnica – This is also used by humans to relieve pain, muscle soreness, and stiffness.
Calendula – This ointment is great for any skin condition or outside infections or wounds. It has an amazing healing ability.
Hepar sulphur – This is good for treating abscesses anywhere on the body. It is also effective in the treatment of anal gland infections.
Rhus tox – This can be used for multiple conditions including arthritis, musculoskeletal injuries, and eye and skin infections.
With these guidelines, you will be ready to help your pet get healthy soon. With the basic remedies in your arsenal, you will be prepared for anything.